Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mindfulness of thoughts.


" It is remarkable how liberating it feels to be able to see that your thoughts are just thoughts and they are not 'you' or 'reality' For instance, if you have the thought that you have to get a certain number of things done today and you don't recognize it as a thought but act as if it's 'the truth', then you have created a reality in that moment in which you really believe that those things must be done today"




For me this understanding was also really liberating, Thoughts have no arms and legs, they cannot hold me, the holding comes from this believing that my thoughts represent reality or 'the truth' as Jon kabat-Zinn writes. When I know that my thoughts are just thoughts, I can decide whether to act on them or not.

My thoughts are conditioned, they arise from my childhood, my upbringing, my culture and so on, for someone else other thoughts arise due to other conditions. If I can sit with some understanding of this I am no longer imprisoned by my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment